Washing and Dyeing Hand Spun Ryeland Fleece

Today I have been busy hand dyeing some of my hand spun Ryeland fleece. I am using natural plant dye extracts to dye the wool as I want everything to be natural. For this mornings dyeing experiments I used Logwood Purple, just a 1/4 teaspoon will give you a lovely shade of lavender as you can see below. At first it looks like it is going to be quite dark but once 'cooked' and rinsed the colour is a lot lighter and produces a beautiful heathery shade.




Our lovely new cottage has a really big garden so I have decided to grow a range of plants for hand dyeing. I planted the seeds on Sunday and they have already started shooting, below are Safflower. The Dyers Woad I also planted has just started to appear as well.


I have also been busy wash some gorgeous brown Ryeland fleece. The fleece has lovely golden tips and hand spins beautifully. I have a few of these fleeces which I bought from a local farm so I may put some washed bags of fleece for sale in my Etsy shop if anyone is interested. It's been a pretty productive day and there is just time to fit in some hand spinning before tea!



Comments

Popular Posts